The Dos and Don’ts of Hiring House Painting Contractors
House painting contractors are a wide field. They can help you with big projects, like painting the exterior of your house, or smaller projects, like painting a room in your home. No matter what size project you need a painting contractor for, there are some things you should do to ensure you’re hiring the right person for the job. However, house painting contractor scams are unfortunately common. In order to avoid becoming a victim of one of these scams, there are certain things you should do, and other things you.
When it comes time to repaint the exterior of your home, you may be tempted to take on the project yourself. But before you grab a brush, consider hiring a professional house painting contractor. Here are some dos and don’ts to keep in mind when making your decision:
- Get multiple estimates: Don’t just go with the first painting contractor you find. Get at least three written estimates from different companies so you can compare pricing. This will also give you a chance to get a feel for each contractor and how they do business.
- Check references: Once you’ve narrowed down your choices, be sure to check references. Ask each contractor for a list of past clients, and then call those clients to ask about their experience.
- Make sure the contractor is licensed and insured: This is important for your protection in case something goes wrong during the project.
- Get everything in writing: Before work begins, make sure you have a detailed contract that outlines the scope of work, materials to be used, and pricing. This will help avoid any misunderstandings down the road.
- Sign a blank contract: Never sign a contract that is not fully filled out. If a contractor pressures you to do this, it’s a red flag that they may not be legitimate.
- Pay the full amount upfront: It’s normal to pay a deposit, but you should never pay the full amount before work begins. This leaves you vulnerable if the paint contractor doesn’t hold up their end of the deal.
- Allow work to begin without a contract: Always make sure you have a signed contract in place before any work begins. This is the only way to protect yourself and your home.
- Hesitate to ask questions: If you don’t understand something in the contract, or if you have any other questions, be sure to ask. A reputable contractor will be happy to answer your questions and put your mind at ease.
- Hire someone who comes to your door unsolicited: If a contractor shows up at your door out of the blue and offers to paint your house, it’s best to turn them away. This is often a sign of a scammer.
By following these dos and don’ts, you can help ensure that you hire a reputable house painting contractor who will do a great job on your home. And when it comes to making your home look its best, that’s worth its weight in paint!
Militello Painting and Powerwashing LLC
218 N Main St, Ambler, PA 19002, United States